life in the wilderness...


I will run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.
- Psalm 119


gayly bedight, a gallant knight
in sunshine and in shadow
riding along, singing a song
In search of El Dorado...
- Edgar Allen Poe
as quoted by R.C. Sproul

Friday, October 15, 2004

hanging w/ the folks!

so it was my dad's 65th birthday today! retirement age!! (well, turns out by technical social security rules, the his 'official' retirement age is 65 years and 4 months - learning new stuff everyday, you know)

so my sister (again) arranged a nice dinner for us at Yamashiro's in Hollywood. Great place! Great view, great food, great environment & service; all at only moderately expensive prices.

Funny thing is, the whole nite, I was thinking that our waiter should be an actor. He just has this "actorness" about him. His looks were somewhere in between the late Christopher Reeve & Gregory Peck. Tall, with a good voice. He just 'spoke' well, I can't really put my finger on it.

Anyways, on the way out, I was smalltalking w/ him & asked what his day job was, and sure enough, he's an actor! I asked if I was going to see him on TV or in the movies and he said he's only been a gynecologist for some day time soap I couldn't remember (reminded me of Joey from Friends!); but that it wasn't enough for him to not need to work there at the restaurant. So I told him I hope it goes well enough for him to get outta there and he said "thanks, buddy". haha, my celebrity run-in.

The other thing that was fun tonite was going to Banana Republic w/ my parents after dinner. My sister had bought us all some clothes, but my parents wanted to exchange what they got. It was really funny & cool & endearing to be at the store and to watch my parents looking around the store & trying things on (instead of just waiting for me & my sister to finish shopping).

Some things were like "no! no! too young!", other stuff looked really good on them! So my dad got a cool sweater and my mom got some shirts (and I got them to buy me a nice belt! haha). I must've looked pretty silly just walking around the store w/ a big smile on my face.

Overall, I was reminded to treasure these times. it's so easy for me to feel lame - at dinner, sitting at the table with them thinking "dude, I should be here with my girlfriend or wife! I must be the only 30+ year old person, out on a friday nite with his parents!"

But hanging w/ them at Banana and driving them home, I was led to reflect, with my dad reaching retirement age, that my parents have worked pretty dang hard all their lives, have managed to keep a sense of humor, and are still healthy and alive and together.

Once I'm married, it won't be the same. For that matter, after having my uncle pass away this summer, I realize how precious my time with them is. I've got the rest of my life to spend with a girl, but probably only a few years to really be with my parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home