life in the wilderness...


I will run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.
- Psalm 119


gayly bedight, a gallant knight
in sunshine and in shadow
riding along, singing a song
In search of El Dorado...
- Edgar Allen Poe
as quoted by R.C. Sproul

Monday, September 13, 2004

hello blogfriends, haven't updated in awhile (wow, I didn't realize it's almost been a whole month!). feels good to be back on the blog!

well, this weekend was one of those "sad, but mixed in with redeemed moments" times. An old friend, Will Kim passed away last weekend in a car accident and this past weekend was his funeral. My sister flew in from New York as they were tight college buddies. I knew him from his time up north at KCPC while he was attending Podiatry school.

It was particualarly sad as he had many, many friends and he was engaged to be married in November to Amy Lee, another old-school KCPC friend. She cried so so much, it was tough both to watch and even try to fathom the depth of grief she must have been enduring.

But in that pain, I also saw the importance of family & friends, church community to be there to support. At lunch after the burial service, she seemed closer to normal; smiling and saying hello to people and recalling good memories of Will with different people.

And of course, it could go without saying, but we need to say it; that the other very important aspect of a funeral I saw being important was HOPE. The hope we have in the life hereafter. During the services, I would get particularly choked up thinking that Will was meeting Jesus in person now.

His greatest wish was for his parents to be saved and so the pastor presiding over the service as well as his best friend giving the eulogy, they were basically directly imploring his parents to believe. I do hope that this is a fulfullment of the passage that observes that when a grain of wheat falls to the earth and dies, it will bear much fruit. For his parents and to the glory of his God.

Other redeeming moments for me personally were getting to see old friends I haven't seen in years. And having my sister back for the weekend. We got to have this wonderful family dinner last nite before she took the redeye back out to NY. It was great.

There's more I want to write about the personal reflections triggered by all this. The wonderings of how I'd hope my funeral would be, the new sapling of security I find slowly developing in me...we'll see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home