time to hang the cleats?
ok, so something happened today that's making me wonder if it isn't time to retire from softball & just stick to golf.
So Yunjae pulled this "old timers" team together for a tournament down here in SoCal. I was happy to have been invited. All during last weekend's practice and this morning, the stream of "old" jokes just kept coming - needing to stretch, needing oxygen tanks, wondering if we could throw or catch or hit anymore. But that's all they were, jokes.
Then came this morning.
Our team made 5 errors in our first game, in the FIRST INNING. Usually, a team won't do this in a whole game! We managed 5 in just one inning. And here's mine:
Batter hits a high pop fly, it's behind me so I turn and start jogging back. Soon I'm a little disoriented, but I've still got my eyes on the ball, way up high in the sky. But then my feet get crossed up for some reason and I fall on my back. but I've still got my eyes on the ball. now I'm completely on my back and I happen to be in perfect position to catch the ball right at my face.
Only I didn't.
Somehow, I missed the ball and it landed on my upper lip and teeth. ARGH! I totally botched the play. Everyone was asking "are you okay?", but despite the pain and checking if my teeth were still there, I was more embarrased & mad than anything else. NEVER in my lifetime of playing softball/baseball, have I EVER allowed a ball to hit me in the face - no bad hop, no line drive, never. And today, on routine pop fly, on my back, it happened.
It might be time to retire...
...but I probably won't. haha
best part of the day was sitting around between games & laughing at each other. good guys, good fun; a bunch of grown men just being boys again.
So Yunjae pulled this "old timers" team together for a tournament down here in SoCal. I was happy to have been invited. All during last weekend's practice and this morning, the stream of "old" jokes just kept coming - needing to stretch, needing oxygen tanks, wondering if we could throw or catch or hit anymore. But that's all they were, jokes.
Then came this morning.
Our team made 5 errors in our first game, in the FIRST INNING. Usually, a team won't do this in a whole game! We managed 5 in just one inning. And here's mine:
Batter hits a high pop fly, it's behind me so I turn and start jogging back. Soon I'm a little disoriented, but I've still got my eyes on the ball, way up high in the sky. But then my feet get crossed up for some reason and I fall on my back. but I've still got my eyes on the ball. now I'm completely on my back and I happen to be in perfect position to catch the ball right at my face.
Only I didn't.
Somehow, I missed the ball and it landed on my upper lip and teeth. ARGH! I totally botched the play. Everyone was asking "are you okay?", but despite the pain and checking if my teeth were still there, I was more embarrased & mad than anything else. NEVER in my lifetime of playing softball/baseball, have I EVER allowed a ball to hit me in the face - no bad hop, no line drive, never. And today, on routine pop fly, on my back, it happened.
It might be time to retire...
...but I probably won't. haha
best part of the day was sitting around between games & laughing at each other. good guys, good fun; a bunch of grown men just being boys again.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home