life in the wilderness...


I will run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.
- Psalm 119


gayly bedight, a gallant knight
in sunshine and in shadow
riding along, singing a song
In search of El Dorado...
- Edgar Allen Poe
as quoted by R.C. Sproul

Sunday, February 01, 2004

Only two more weeks of work!! One more paycheck. Gotta start making plans & getting responsible again. Funny how I find myself needing to get more responsible as I quit work rather than being responsible with work.

Got my first eye exam last friday. Found some bad news, not so bad news, and good news.

Good news is that I've got better than 20/20 - but I already suspected that (which is why I've never gotten an eye exam before in my life!) and that I've got good health. Did you know they can tell all sorts of stuff by looking in your eyes? Detecting glaucoma, diabetes, high cholesterol, and some other stuff I can't remember - but none of which I have, so I'm okay.

Not so bad news - so while I have 20/20 - no problem seeing stuff, my eyes are weak in doing so. This is why, according to my optometrist, I get sleepy when I read or am on the computer. And I though all this time it was cuz I was lazy! (well, I'm sure it's that, too) So I ordered a pair of glasses this weekend! Just prisms. No "power"/correction in them. My first pair of glasses - the nerd picture is complete now. Pictures to come as soon as I get them.

Bad news - so the optomestrist could tell I haven't taken good care of my eyes. "You don't wear sunglasses, DO you?" me, "well, I just started last year" him, "Yeah, I can tell. You've got some bad stuff going on" I don't remember the techincal word, but basically, the white part of my eye is growing onto the black part of my eye. Not a problem now, but could turn into cataracts someday. Time to put on those shades, baby. Gonna get a pair of prescription sunglasses, too! (medical coverage is great!)

Other deeper stuff.

So I was talking w/ Martin the other day before our small group went bowling. Shared how I was coming to see that I was expecting my bible reading to do something it wasn't meant to do - which is to be the entirety of my relationship with God. As if by reading, somehow all the fullness of a wholly-orbed relationship was to develop, but that I'm finding that this isn't so. That obedience and interaction were required as well. I described it as how (and I could see myself doing this) one might think that just by reading marriage counseling books, it fulfills your relationship with your spouse - but it totally doesn't! You have to have your own specific expressions of love, dialogue, fights, etc.

But Martin said the most remarkeable thing, and it was so nourishing for my soul. So he acknowledged my observation, but he also offered the idea that reading the word would also be likened to reading your wife's journal - and in that very personal way, be *very* relationship building. Wow! So true.

I had forgotten all about that. I brought up my original view because I have been trying to understand my 'funk' in reading God's word. I'm convinced that it's not completely laziness (tho that is there of course), and I've been trying to figure myself out. But what Martin said put the Word in such a warm, personal light that my soul was thawed out a bit. Perhaps I'll reconcile someday with my bible afterall...=)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home