Three pretty random, disjointed thoughts today:
1. The sports world has seen two college coaches fired this past week for "conduct unbecoming". One for admitting he's an alcoholic as pictures of him at a college party with young women emerged (he's married), the other for "inappropriate behavior" at a golf course. It's probably been written about already, but I'm intrigued by the fact that our colleges seem to see the necessity of holding up a moral standard for it's leaders, while our government does not. Of course, it's easier to fire a basketball and football coach than it is to impeach a president, but still - the president has a tremendously influential role. Perhaps the position's distance from youth makes it easier to dismiss immoral behavior? On a talk show, another prominent college coach was on to talk about these two coaches' firings and he was saying that most in his position understand that the college level people will face more scrutiny than the pro-level coaches because of the nature of the roles - that college coaches are dealing with young people in a student environment whereas pro coaches are dealing with "adults" that are supposedly "on their own" so to speak, and more responsible for themselves (and thus the coach's personal behavior is not going to have as much of an impact). Maybe we can excuse the presidential office with the same line of thinking, but I still think it's kinda sad that our universities' standards are higher than the 3 branches of our gov't.
2. With the time change and the season change, I left work while the sun was still up today! Even though I left at 7:30pm, the sun was just setting. It felt great, and I can't wait to be able to go to my new home where I can watch the sun set over the water nearby and over the hills in the distance. Today, I got to see the sunset out of my rear and side view mirrors. A beautiful color that I can only describe as "sunset" color (I wonder if Crayola has a color called "Sunset" yet, I'm sure interior designers already do) was shining thru the clouds. It was magificent, the sun shining thru clouds that were formed "above and below it" so-to-speak. I had to be careful in my driving cuz I kept wanting to stare at it thru my mirrors! I remember the other day at work taking a walk around our lake as I visited someone in another building on campus and realizing that I'm sunset guy. I really like sunsets. Not sure why I don't like sunrises as much - maybe it's because I'm not a morning person; that and some bad association - I've usually only seen sunsets as the result of college allnighters or family vacations where my dad would make us leave the house at like 4am! haha. those were the days. Writing a paper in the night, hearing the birds start to chirp, hearing the trash truck coming by, seeing the darkness turn to grey, and then...the sun!! (and it's impending deadlines) But yeah, sunrises are usually painful. Whereas sunsets are usually pretty mellow, easy, sentimental, reflective times. I think I'd like to learn to enjoy sunrises - the start of something new and bright. I know Jesus found those times fulfilling.
3. So with this early coming home, I decided to try cooking! I came home, picked up the Dude Food cookbook I had gotten from I-Fang, and remembered seeing a steak recipe in there. Jotted down the ingredients, went to the Albertson's down the street, bought some stuff (spinach salad, poppyseed dressing, onions, drinks, olive oil, butter, pepper, mushrooms, a steak, and a bottle of cognac) and came home and did some coookkaaaannngg!!! MMMmmmmmm, it was sooooo good!! Amazing how good a steak can taste if you cook it without having it frozen for a week! haha!! It was so easy, and it tasted wonderful! Sauteed onions and mushrooms with peppers in and around a medium-rare rib eye steak. I'm back into steaks again. For awhile, all I've been able to eat in the way of meat at restaurants has been prime rib since the steaks were always too dry (even when ordering it medium-rare). But today's was juicy and sooo tasty! I'm gonna have to do it again soon, but next time I want to cook for my roommate too.
1. The sports world has seen two college coaches fired this past week for "conduct unbecoming". One for admitting he's an alcoholic as pictures of him at a college party with young women emerged (he's married), the other for "inappropriate behavior" at a golf course. It's probably been written about already, but I'm intrigued by the fact that our colleges seem to see the necessity of holding up a moral standard for it's leaders, while our government does not. Of course, it's easier to fire a basketball and football coach than it is to impeach a president, but still - the president has a tremendously influential role. Perhaps the position's distance from youth makes it easier to dismiss immoral behavior? On a talk show, another prominent college coach was on to talk about these two coaches' firings and he was saying that most in his position understand that the college level people will face more scrutiny than the pro-level coaches because of the nature of the roles - that college coaches are dealing with young people in a student environment whereas pro coaches are dealing with "adults" that are supposedly "on their own" so to speak, and more responsible for themselves (and thus the coach's personal behavior is not going to have as much of an impact). Maybe we can excuse the presidential office with the same line of thinking, but I still think it's kinda sad that our universities' standards are higher than the 3 branches of our gov't.
2. With the time change and the season change, I left work while the sun was still up today! Even though I left at 7:30pm, the sun was just setting. It felt great, and I can't wait to be able to go to my new home where I can watch the sun set over the water nearby and over the hills in the distance. Today, I got to see the sunset out of my rear and side view mirrors. A beautiful color that I can only describe as "sunset" color (I wonder if Crayola has a color called "Sunset" yet, I'm sure interior designers already do) was shining thru the clouds. It was magificent, the sun shining thru clouds that were formed "above and below it" so-to-speak. I had to be careful in my driving cuz I kept wanting to stare at it thru my mirrors! I remember the other day at work taking a walk around our lake as I visited someone in another building on campus and realizing that I'm sunset guy. I really like sunsets. Not sure why I don't like sunrises as much - maybe it's because I'm not a morning person; that and some bad association - I've usually only seen sunsets as the result of college allnighters or family vacations where my dad would make us leave the house at like 4am! haha. those were the days. Writing a paper in the night, hearing the birds start to chirp, hearing the trash truck coming by, seeing the darkness turn to grey, and then...the sun!! (and it's impending deadlines) But yeah, sunrises are usually painful. Whereas sunsets are usually pretty mellow, easy, sentimental, reflective times. I think I'd like to learn to enjoy sunrises - the start of something new and bright. I know Jesus found those times fulfilling.
3. So with this early coming home, I decided to try cooking! I came home, picked up the Dude Food cookbook I had gotten from I-Fang, and remembered seeing a steak recipe in there. Jotted down the ingredients, went to the Albertson's down the street, bought some stuff (spinach salad, poppyseed dressing, onions, drinks, olive oil, butter, pepper, mushrooms, a steak, and a bottle of cognac) and came home and did some coookkaaaannngg!!! MMMmmmmmm, it was sooooo good!! Amazing how good a steak can taste if you cook it without having it frozen for a week! haha!! It was so easy, and it tasted wonderful! Sauteed onions and mushrooms with peppers in and around a medium-rare rib eye steak. I'm back into steaks again. For awhile, all I've been able to eat in the way of meat at restaurants has been prime rib since the steaks were always too dry (even when ordering it medium-rare). But today's was juicy and sooo tasty! I'm gonna have to do it again soon, but next time I want to cook for my roommate too.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home