life in the wilderness...


I will run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.
- Psalm 119


gayly bedight, a gallant knight
in sunshine and in shadow
riding along, singing a song
In search of El Dorado...
- Edgar Allen Poe
as quoted by R.C. Sproul

Sunday, March 13, 2005

real food

you know, I remember reading an analogy that when you're really hungry, you want real food. So you know, when you're bored, you want junk food; but after helping a friend move all day, the thought of sugar just grosses you out - you want a good, hearty meal.

So the analogy goes that when our souls truly hunger - and we let it, instead of feeding it junk food, it will hunger & be satisfied in a relationship with God.

I've experienced a small, personal version of this analogy. So here it is...

So lately, I've been totally immersed in this Fantasy Basketball league that I'm in with some of my old friends. It's been really fun & a good way to keep in touch, actually. I've been obsessed with it! I check in the morning, if I'm near a pc w/ internet, I've got to check how my players are doing, and I check it at nite. I've spent hours analysing possible trades and pickups.

But today, abruptly, I lost my appetite for it. Rather, I felt the hunger for friends. After seeing so many good, longtime friends this weekend at Phil & Jessica's wedding yesterday, today I felt that lonliness that comes typically comes after a good, bonding church event. Do you know what I'm talking about? You know, after a retreat or a missions trip - you had a great time, hanging out, maybe you really connected with some friends. And then you go home and you miss them all.

That's how I felt today. It's not like I had a super-deep conversation with anyone in the madness of yesterday, but we've all got so much history, it doesn't take much now to communicate care to one another.

I sound like Red in Shawshank. "I guess I just miss my friend"(s)

[end of analogy]

Ok, other than that, it was SOOO fun yesterday! So many highlights, I'll just bullet list them:

- Phil & Jessica just look adorable together (I think their being the same height has part to do with it) =)
- Susan & Sandy sang during the wedding & sounded great, as usual!
- Sharon & my emceeing went well - we got lots of "good job" comments!
- DK's got some really good friends. I mean, Jessica does too, but I guess since I'm a guy, I'm more struck by the way he & his Stanford buddies interact. I can't explain it, but I was impressed.
- at the end of the reception, after thanking everyone for coming, Phil said the simplest, most sincere words of affection to Jessica. beautiful
- then then the dancing! awwww yeah! lots of fun. I must say, at the dance party, I got the most joy out of watching E.Chang dance the night away. Always a big smile on his face, having a grand ole time! You're my inspiriation, mang!~ (dj tip - good way to get everyone off the floor (at a wedding reception, anyways) - play Digital Underground's "Freaks of the Industry" - toward the end of the nite, when this came on, pretty much everyone got off. haha

Two more days & I fly up to the Bay Area for a couple of days! Woohoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home