life in the wilderness...


I will run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.
- Psalm 119


gayly bedight, a gallant knight
in sunshine and in shadow
riding along, singing a song
In search of El Dorado...
- Edgar Allen Poe
as quoted by R.C. Sproul

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

new school & blessing

some quick notes and one longer one for the most hectic day in a long time:

To summarize, I switched colleges, did some tutoring, got another job, and had a really blessed time of worship driving in between at one stretch. the most exciting, rapid-fire decision-making day I've had in a long time. It was exciting!

1. So yeah, totally switched schools today - couldn't break thru the red tape at San Bernardino Valley College to let me take an Abnormal Psych class, got recommended by the only cool staff person there to check out Chaffey College (which, I found out is even closer to my house), and found out that they allow for audits and got into their Abnormal Psych class! The timing was perfect. A little hurried, but perfect.

2. Tutored a kid in some math today. Great kid; felt really good to help him out. I really like seeing people succeed and feeling good about themselves.

3. Got a call in the morning from my cousin about a potential job opportunity, teaching at a Korean SAT school where her friend teaches and where she used to teach. Made an appt for the eve, met the owner and got hired right there. Funny thing is, at one point, the owner asks me "So, when did you graduate?...from college?" I answer "1995" and they were like shocked!! They totally thought I was my cousin's YOUNGER cousin. Argh! Maybe it was the way I was dressed, don't know. But I'm like 7 years older than my cousin! Awesome.

4. Last one's a bit longer:

So after leaving the new college and being excited that I had finally nailed down the opportunity to take an Abnormal Psych class after battling so hard for about a week, I could almost literally feel my heart sink for some reason. This pessimism started creeping back in that Psych was not going to do it for me (despite almost everyone I know telling me that they think that this is what I was meant to do!)

And I caught myself (again) trying to satisfy the hunger of my soul's need for meaning w/ this career, or rather, at this point, simply the prospect of this career. And I prayed to God that somehow I could "aim" this hunger toward him somehow, I could sense that trying to take the subject of Psych and have it satisfy my soul would both ruin Psych for me as well as leave me wanting.

As I sought this change in aim, the most remarkeable thing happened. My heart sort of swelled up. It's hard to explain - in some measure, the physical part of the feeling stayed the same, but the tone of it had changed. Now, instead of hunger, it was...longing...overflow, something along those lines. Something that I started to realize, could only find fulfillment in worship. Not necessarily in song or liturgy (though those would certainly do), but more to the point, praise.

Suddenly, for a moment, the sky looked more beautiful, the traffic on the 15 less bothersome. I was, I think perhaps, for a few seconds anyways, basking in the love and glory of God. It was wonderful, to say the least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home