life in the wilderness...


I will run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.
- Psalm 119


gayly bedight, a gallant knight
in sunshine and in shadow
riding along, singing a song
In search of El Dorado...
- Edgar Allen Poe
as quoted by R.C. Sproul

Monday, September 22, 2003

Whew! Been pretty crazy busy. I was at work till 5:30am last friday! (well, thru nite/friday morn)

But now it's a slow monday and I just got through reading an article given to me by Stephen from our small group. It's called "How to Stay Stuck in the Wrong Career". It rang so true with me that I just had to write about it.

The author points out that the usual way people go about acting out their desires for career change is to "plan and implement" - to find one's self, think and find what you want to do, talk to trusted people around you who know you well, and then implement your plans. After studying people who have gone thru changes (both successfully & not), the author contends that the better way to go about it is to "test and learn" - in essence, to experiment and actually try out different activities/roles, to develop new contacts (versus people who already know you well, who will often - with good intention - try to keep you where you're at), and then to make sense of your new experiences.

This, tho not a conventionally "christian" manner, I am taking as an affirmation from God. (the article is part of the Harvard Business Review magazine or something) I was totally doing the plan and implement, falling into paralysis from "looking inside". There was very much a part of me that wanted to "figure it all out", get my life direction, and then go that way, eventually to ride off into the sunset after a fulfilling mission-filled life of saving the the innocents from the wild west bandits and establishing a fair government. =)

but recently, another line of thinking had crept in - the idea of 'trying things out' in small scale; the patience/grace to see that I don't have to have figured out a permanent path already and that I'm behind. I had been thinking "that's what I was supposed to have done in college" and regretting that missed opportunity to explore via the classroom. Nope. It's time to explore now. It's not too late to meet new people, try new things. From there, I will learn and see. God has provided me with a great job with great people and relatively great flexibility. I don't want to give this away prematurely. In fact, this job is a luxury in the sense that I can adjust my hours in order to accomodate some "moonlighting".

the wheels are turning in my head; so many things to try out....emt/paramedic, counseling, small business, diplomacy, all of these things in another country; forming a group of people to go and be contributors to another community (inspired by another missions article)....let's see what doors God opens and how I like them...forget college, this is real life! =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home