living out of my bag
first, a random funny video that's been brought to my attention twice today:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6739710473912337648
hilarious! esp the guy obliviously playing counterstrike in the back
-----------------------
So I've been living out of my bag again. First time I've been home in a week - spending the nite at friends houses (THANKS!!) because I'm volunteering at UCLA and taking classes there.
SO - update on an update that I've not updated many of my readers on (but ppl I see & have conversations with know about).
I had kinda narrowed my career search to three fields:
1. Dentistry (as my way into health care)
2. Construction (as my way into real estate)
3. Bible Translation
But with opportunities needing decision and schedules needing to be established, I realized I need to set some sort of priority (since I don't have a clear inclination toward any particular one).
For now, I think I'd like dentistry & construction to work around my going abroad with Wycliffe. I want to take steps toward that end first, and then plan the other two around them.
So, my next year and a half or so may look like this:
(of course, this stuff changes by the minute, so read this with a pound of salt)
Jan - June '06 - take as many post-bac classes as I can and
put an application to dental school together
June '06 - June '07 - get trained and go abroad with Wycliffe
July '07 - if I'm called to Translation, do that
- if not and I got into a dental prog - go there
- if I didn't get in anywhere, look into construction
and earn an honest living building buildings
So that's it for now.
Getting different feedback from people.
I'm gaining trust that God will make it clear at the right time.
For now, MOVE.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6739710473912337648
hilarious! esp the guy obliviously playing counterstrike in the back
-----------------------
So I've been living out of my bag again. First time I've been home in a week - spending the nite at friends houses (THANKS!!) because I'm volunteering at UCLA and taking classes there.
SO - update on an update that I've not updated many of my readers on (but ppl I see & have conversations with know about).
I had kinda narrowed my career search to three fields:
1. Dentistry (as my way into health care)
2. Construction (as my way into real estate)
3. Bible Translation
But with opportunities needing decision and schedules needing to be established, I realized I need to set some sort of priority (since I don't have a clear inclination toward any particular one).
For now, I think I'd like dentistry & construction to work around my going abroad with Wycliffe. I want to take steps toward that end first, and then plan the other two around them.
So, my next year and a half or so may look like this:
(of course, this stuff changes by the minute, so read this with a pound of salt)
Jan - June '06 - take as many post-bac classes as I can and
put an application to dental school together
June '06 - June '07 - get trained and go abroad with Wycliffe
July '07 - if I'm called to Translation, do that
- if not and I got into a dental prog - go there
- if I didn't get in anywhere, look into construction
and earn an honest living building buildings
So that's it for now.
Getting different feedback from people.
I'm gaining trust that God will make it clear at the right time.
For now, MOVE.

10 Comments:
At 4:51 PM, October 31, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Brother, you have to go into construction in order to fulfill the prophesy of Office Space: you are Peter Gibbons. Jennifer Aniston will then be yours in no time!
At 3:43 AM, November 01, 2005,
Anonymous said…
i feel so out of the loop. dentistry? construction? the last time we talked, you were on a train going through america. youre a hard man to keep track of. i miss you allen oppa!
At 9:42 AM, November 01, 2005,
Anonymous said…
sounds like a master plan!
At 12:58 AM, November 02, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Al,
I swear we're on the same path...I've looked into med school, law school (still an option), and Wycliffe. I've decided this all revolved around a passion for humanitarian service. But I've been trying to fit a square peg in a round hole...not going to work. So here's the question: What's your passion and what are your gifts and talents?
I'll be praying for you!
Dez
At 2:40 PM, November 07, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Allen!
If you want to get back into programming (in a more meaningful way), check this out:
www.civicspacelabs.org -
I know the dudes that founded this group, and they're great.
Miss you, take care!
Jamie
At 6:20 PM, November 09, 2005,
Jaepil said…
construction baby!!
At 2:49 PM, November 14, 2005,
Anonymous said…
I don't know about the idea of Wycliffe-missions with such unsure career/school goals. Do you have to submit a final YES soon? Well, I have no spiritual reason, anecdote, interesting insights for my point, really, just me, you know, hang around here a little longer, brother. It just doesn't sound sound to me...
If you go, consider South America...Brazil...
Tata
At 7:25 AM, November 29, 2005,
Sandy said…
Hi Allen!
Thanks for your call. I'll see you this weekend. Can't wait to hear about your adventures in career-hunting. :)
Sandy
At 6:12 PM, November 29, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Hi, Big Al! This is Christina & Rob Cho leaving our xanga.com site so you can stay updated on our lives here in Reno...
http://www.xanga.com/christinaycho
Take care,
Rob & Christina & Ethan
At 10:52 AM, December 13, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Hey Allen -
You silly! Update your blog!
<3 Jamie
ps, new blog: jamiechang.com
Post a Comment
<< Home